If you love the earthy, spiciness of the classic Indian dish Chana Masala featuring chickpeas, then you’ll really enjoy this easy recipe for Edamame Masala with Brown Rice featuring edamame—nutrient-rich, green soy beans. This recipe is super easy to make up in just over 30 minutes, plus it’s an easy meal in one. Just cook up your brown rice, and while it’s steaming simmer together onions, garlic, ginger, spices, canned tomatoes, and frozen edamame. And presto—dinner is ready! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, added sugar-free, and can easily be made oil-free and salt-free by leaving out those ingredients. But it’s not shy on flavor, that’s for sure! Packed with protein, veggies, fiber, and spices, it’s a health-protective meal you can feel really good about. I love to serve this recipe with my Kachumber Salad as the perfect side. With mostly shelf stable ingredients, this recipe is budget-friendly, family-friendly and perfect for meal prep. Mix together a batch and enjoy the leftovers all week long! Though I truly adore traditional Indian foodways, I am not an official expert. Check out my friend and colleague, Vandana Sheth, who is a genius at authentic Indian cooking and traditions.
Watch me make this recipe in my Plant-Powered Live Cooking Show here.
Check out the video on how to make this recipe here.
This healthy, delicious, vegan, gluten-free recipe for Edamame Masala with Brown Rice can be prepared in just over 30 minutes based on many shelf-stable, nutritious ingredients.
- Cook brown rice in water in medium pot or rice cooker, according to package directions, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet and add onion, chilies, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, mustard, turmeric, salt (if using), and black pepper, sautéing for 9 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, and mash any large chunks with a wooden spoon to break apart.
- Add cilantro and edamame, stirring well to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender and mixture is thickened.
- Add garam masala and lemon juice, mixing well.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.
InstantPot Directions: For steps 2-6, add all ingredients in these steps to the Instant Pot and push the “Bean/Chili” setting. Serve with cooked brown rice. Note: You can use the rack and cook the rice in a separate container above the edamame masala.
Slow cooker Directions: For steps 2-6, add all ingredients in these steps to the Slow cooker. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve with cooked brown rice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American, Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 181 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 58 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan entree, vegan edamame recipe, masala recipe
For other classic Indian-style recipes, check out some of my favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.